There are several reasons why to take some time to choose the right contractor. Here’s a clip from a popular DIY Network show that deals with people who have been victims of shoddy work done on their home:
As you see, an experience like this can be devastating emotionally and financially.
With that in mind, here’s several homework items to consider when hiring a contractor for your next project:
- Get a referral from a friend.
- Check on the contractor’s licenses, if applicable.
- Get all estimates, warranties and guarantees IN WRITING.
- Check out their rating with the local Better Business Bureau.
- Ask for references from previous completed jobs.
- How long have they been in business?
- If they ask for cash, find someone else.
- Never hire a out of town contractor if at all possible.
- Check to make sure they are insured and bonded properly.
Performing all, or at least most of these, will insure that you will be hiring a reputable contractor.