As evidenced by recent weather, it looks like Fall is upon us. As Winter approaches, there are things you can do to increase the energy efficiency of your home. Here are some tips you can employ to save energy and money this Fall and Winter:
- Check your windows for any drafts around the frames. Then, seal them with a good quality caulk.
- Add insulation to your attic. Although this can be a big project, it can make a huge difference in heat loss in the winter, or heat gain in summer.
- Consider buying insulated window coverings such as Honeycomb Shades. Check out Blinds.com for great pricing!
- Open the window coverings on south and west facing windows on sunny days. This will allow the sun to naturally heat those areas.
- Set your thermostat back 10 to 15 degrees while you sleep to save up to 10% your utility bill.
- Have your heater cleaned and change the filter at least every 2 months.
Doing some or all of these can add up to a warmer home and some nice savings on your energy bill!